Friday 30 May 2008

The Sacred Heart of Jesus

Having just arrived back from watery Somerset, I cannot let this day go by without a word concerning the Sacred Heart. For me, this feast is one of the very greatest in the Church's year. It is the day above all days when we simply remember the love that God has shown us, the love that is shown to its perfection in the life of Jesus. The Christian faith can only ever be understood by the lover. I remember that on the day I left Oscott College to go on retreat prior to my priestly Ordination, Fr David Oakley was preaching at Mass, and he said that to be a Christian in truth meant that one had to be an incurable romantic. Following those words of his, so much of what I had prepared for my retreat went out the window! The feast of the Sacred Heart is simply (simply!) the feast of the love of God for me, for you and for every one of us. It is a marvellous day. Go away and think about it; what difference Christ's love for you makes to you rlife. If it doesn't make any difference, still think about it: what difference the love fo God might make to your life. It has made all the difference to mine. And that's all I will say. If I allowed myself, I could sit here all night talking of the Sacred Heart - but then I wouldn't be getting ready for the Bishop's Visitation!
God bless you all.

No comments: